Wednesday, April 4, 2012

April Fooled

April fooled 

I am officially on break! The adventure started bright and early last Friday morning. I had to catch the 4 am bus out of the village, meaning I had to leave my house at 3:30 am to get down there in time l. Luckily I have learned and bought my rocket the night before so that I could have a seat in the front with the driver. The bus came on time and I was off, when we passed through Isongole we picked up Nicole and the trip really started. We were traveling first to the boarder town of Tunduma where we were going to get our visas and then find a bus down to Lusaka.

We made it to the boarder in great time and had no problems for once crossing the boarder, we bought our Zambian visas, exchanged our Shillings for Kwacha (I was amused because I became a millionaire) and went to find a bus to Lusaka, by this point it was only 11 am, things were going great! We found a nice looking bus and bought a ticket and found out we would have to wait 5 hours for it to leave because it was an over night bus but we didn't mind. 

The bus left and we were even happier because it wasn't that full so we each got two seats to ourselves. The ride was almost perfect except I did have a minor break down . The seats in front of me reclined a lot further than any others and at one point I felt trapped, I also had two chatty Cathy men behind me who apparently didn't need sleep because they chatted the entire night. Oher than that the ride was great and we made it to Lusaka around 4:30 am. We decided to wait on the bus we came on until 5 and then go and find a bus down to Livingston, where Victoria Falls is located. 

Immediately when we got off the bus a guy came up and asked us if we were going to Livingstone and took us to his bus company to get a ticket. This is totally normal in most African countries, and it makes things easy if you don't really have a bus company you prefer. We bought our tickets and likes the bus company they had bible verses on their tickets and sign, the people were super friendly. We took our bags to the bus and put them under to store and made sure to have the guy close it and then went to grab a coffee and papers and them sat on the bus. This ride was relatively short compared to the other, only 7 hours. Other than having the usual creeper on the bs wanting to chat with us because we are white the ride was great. We both got really excited when we saw the sign welcoming us to Livingstone and both committed on how easy and how few problems we had had on this long trip down here. Little did we know

When we got off the bus and went to grab our backpacks they were nowhere to be found! I immediately went into full on panic freak out mode, I hadn't slept in basically two days and I was in dire need of a shower. The guys who worked for the company were really nice and one of them, Patrick took us to the used clothes store to buy some stuff and then brought us to our hostel. 

As of now we know that the guy from re bus station we first meet who took us to the bus counter and worked for the company has been taken by the police but that's all we know. Most of the things in the two bags were worthless. Nicoles bag was even half filled with trash she didn't want to burn in the village. Both of us had really nasty old clothes in our bags, the bags also were nasty due to the fact that they have been strapped to the top of buses for hours on end on dirt roads. Africans don't like dirty things, so the joke was on them. The thing that really sucked was that my nice camera was in my bag I forgot to talbot out because it was at the bottom of my bag, also my small computer charger was in the bag. I took out my computer but forgot the charger so that's going to make life rough for the next few weeks in the village.

Over all though I feel like the joke was on the thief because our stuff wasn't really that nice and they are going to have a hard time selling most of it. We have had a good time rocking the only swimsuit we could find which was boys swim trunks and our second hand clothes, I have learned I can survive a week with only one skirt and three shirts, ohhh Africa More to come soon about all the stuff we have done here in Zambia 

No comments:

Post a Comment