Monday, March 19, 2012

My Easy Bake Oven

lately I have attempted baking some things again. I have been reading this Peace Corps cookbook we got at our orientation and have found some really good recipes. It all started when I was questioning some of the teachers and students about the things you can buy in Isoko. I knew if I wanted to do any real baking I was going to need some baking powder and baking soda. Figuring out the Swahili words for these things was a little easier said than done, of course. My initial thought, as any normal persons would be, was to look in the dictionary. Well I found the words and was asking people and they seemed to know what they were, and i was even happier to find out i could buy baking powder down in the dukas by school. During break I went down there to buy baking soda, only to receive yeast. I went back up to school and showed the students whereupon they confirmed it was baking powder. I had to try and act it out and describe it as best as i could and finally one of my favorite students told me it was called chapa mandashi. I then went back to the duka to ask for it only for them to produce a mandazi (a doughnut like treat) because they thought I was saying mandazi instead of mandashi...typical for me. After that i gave up and gave a student money to go down to Isoko and buy the baking powder and baking soda (baking soda so much easier to figure out, sensibly they call it bicarbonate).

During this whole ordeal i had been talking about needing these things to bake bread when the mama who serves us tea heard me and asked if I would teach her how to bake bread, i agreed and told her to come over on Sunday. Sunday she arrived forty five minutes early to find me in shorts and a swimsuit top (it was awkward i had the music going while i was cleaning and didn't hear her knocking so she walked in). Sunday morning I wrote out the directions in Swahili so she would be able to do it on her own at home, i was nervous about getting everything right, but I can officially report that i only made two minor spelling errors which if you know me is nothing. Everything worked out well, explaining the concept of the Dutch oven was a little tricky because I was using the cardboard from one of my packages as a lid but I think she eventually got the picture. She was super excited when we finished and i gave her the loaf, she invited me over to her house next weekend, I can't wait to go she is super presh.

Other than the bread I have attempted brownies and a pop tart from scratch. The brownies turned out kind of cake like but were still good and the pop tart was a delish cinnamon sugar treat. This week I am planning on making a cake and frosting in honor of my little brother pressy turning 21!! I also want to attempt to make bean burgers because I have been really craving a hamburger lately. It was gotten bad my cravings for real food. I get jealous when I am watching a movie and they are eating a salad or pizza, I even have dreams about food which is really sad. I am going to upload pics of the treats I have made in two weeks when I am on vacay!

No comments:

Post a Comment